HISTORIC TENT CITY
Colony Days Historic Tent City is fully-operated by community volunteers — we couldn’t do it without you
Atascadero Colony Days’ Tent City arose from an idea to bring Atascadero’s 1914-1916 Tent City period to life. The historic Tent City re-enactment is peopled with exhibitors from the community, each sharing part of the early Atascadero story. The 2018 event will take place on Saturday, Oct. 6. The Tent City re-enactment will be held in the Sunken Gardens for the second year.
Tent City grew from nine small tents and two large ones — showing residential camp life and a school and a land office — to a teeming little community that includes the Land Office, Ice Cream Parlor, a working Blacksmith, John J. Roth (architect), Atascadero Mutual Water Company (first business in Atascadero), Agriculture/Apples, Mercantile, Atascadero News outlet, Diner, Red Cross, Barbershop, and Federated church (heart of service for the community). It also boasts a stage, residences, and a very active games area.
Tent City Acting Classes
To get actors of all ages ready for the 45th annual Colony Days re-enactment, acting classes will be held at the Community Church of Atascadero, 5850 Rosario Ave. in Atascadero, starting on Tuesday, Aug. 21 and taking place every Tuesday through Oct. 2. To learn more, CLICK HERE.
Some ways to help with Tent City
- Be a historical re-enactor (free acting classes take place before the event)
- Strong volunteers to help move heavy items in and out of Sunken Gardens
- Helpers to pick up and move costumes, accessories and clothing racks from storage to the Tent City warehouse
- A truck to transport the items between storage and the warehouse
- Returning costumes to storage after the event
- An assistant to attend each acting class and make sure all required forms are completed and collected from all actors and/or parents for those under 18
- An assistant to attend each acting class and get participants’ measurements and collect any costume fees
- One or two assistants to assist and coordinate all costuming appointments and/or fittings for actors and others needing costumes
- One or two helpers to help organize, iron and/or help with mending or costume adjustments
- Volunteers to perform light shoe cleaning and labeling shoes with sizes